Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hey, it's Pete.

So, lately I've been in a scuba open water certification course. It's AWESOME. The "confined dives" which are normally done in a swimming pool are done on the beautiful coral reef. I'm really enjoying it so far, although the parts of me that don't get covered up end up looking like they've been in the deep-fryer for a while because we're out under the tropical sun from 10 - 3 pm.

Let's see... first quarter's over, and I know you'll all hate me for saying it but I really do miss the cold. I have these flashes of physical memory of the cold and it's really nostalgic. No worries, because mango season is coming and soon everything will be just right.

Every day I learn more about why a western, imposed school system is impossible with this culture, even if the intentions are good. School has absolutely no place in this culture (except perhaps in that it tingles the self-preservation reflex which we all have). There's a lot of tragedy inherent to becoming a part of this island. It is and especially has been imbued with incomprehensible beauty, but the rate at which that beauty (both culturally and physically) is being laid waste is alarming. I guess it's the same story all over the globe.

All that said, I really like the students and have developed some bonds with them. Making friends has proven to be extremely difficult and frustrating because in this culture, we are viewed as children (everyone is until they're around 35), but if we are to receive even a fraction of the respect necessitated by our station as teachers, we can't really make friends with the students. Also, the students feel a barrier due to our status.

Anyway, I've been working with all of my spare time on chess and composing. I am working on a large scale, themed collection of piano suites based loosely around the Lorax. It is exciting and I've really been putting a lot of mental energy into both its creation and my improvement as a composer. I hope to gather a contingent of pianist friends when I get home who are willing to help bring it to life.

Ok, that's about it for now. Lot's of thoughts, lot's of jumble, and there's so much more that's been left unwritten. Until next time...

Pete

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pete - Nice narrative! When I was taking SCUBA lessons in the Philippines when I was about your age I remember those coral cuts. They told us never to use iodine on them because coral uses iodine as a nutrient. Also, I remember we would take old surplus overalls or flight suits and wear them under our SCUBA gear so we would not get torn up whenever we brushed up against coral. Good luck and dive safe!

    ReplyDelete