Monday, April 19, 2010

COMET results!

Finally, after 3 1/2 months of waiting, we got the results for the COMET!

As I'd said before, apparently only 8 students passed last year. I'm pretty sure that means that only 8 got into either the National or Degree program. Well, this year was much more fruitful. Here's the breakdown:

Of my 74 students...
11 are going straight to COM National Campus
23 are accepted into the Developmental Education Program
24 are accepted to the Certificate Program at COM Pohnpei Campus
15 did not pass
1 did not take the exam

So the COM Nat'l Camp is an actual accredited college, so they'll basically be going to a regular college. The Dev-Ed program is for students who were close to Nat'l level, but need a class or two first. So they'll take some remedial English classes for 6 weeks and if they improve, they can go straight to Nat'l from there. The Certificate program is mainly a vocational program and is for those whose English wasn't quite up to par, and the 15 who didn't pass the first time have the option to retake it in May or November. I'm going to have an extra class for them a couple times a week to help them get ready for the retake.

Also, three of our students got the 3rd highest score on the math section in the whole FSM and one of our students wrote an almost perfect-scoring essay (49 out of 50 points).

I'm so proud!!! I've been having students come into my room all morning just to shake my hand, take pictures with me, thank me, or bring some music and have a random celebratory dance party. It's been great. I'm really proud of my students and excited that I could help them out so much this year. Apparently these are the highest scores in a number of years. I just hope that next year's WorldTeach volunteers can take all the hard work that Pete's put into the Junior class and help them achieve similar results on next year's COMET.

Anywho, I'm sure we'll put up some more stories and pictures later!

2 comments:

  1. reading this brought tears to my eyes. congratulations and thank you for doing good for the students of PNI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Taylor, Pete, and students!!!! What an accomplishment! Feels great to see all of that effort pay off, doesn't it? I'm so proud of you.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete