Monday, August 10, 2009

Mad, Mad, Madolenihmw

HELLO! This is Pete. SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED THIS WEEK. I have no Idea where to start or how I'll ever get to even half of it but here goes nothing:

Last thursday we moved into Tony Augustine's house in Madolenihmw. Tony is the brother of our host Father for the last three weeks. Although leaving our amazing host family was hard for all involved (our sister cried:() it's nice that we're still in the family. Just to clarify, Tony is not living with us in our house, the house is all ours but anywhere from ten to twenty family members (brothers, aunts, grandparents adopted cousins, little kids that wander around and have no intelligible relation) are living on the property with us. It's nice to be a part of the community. The Pohnpeians are very guarded with their emotions when around new people and it takes a while for them to warm up, but once they start to accept you, the warmth of their social embrace is truly amazing. People can be so genuine here. That is, when they're at home. Who people are at home and outside are verydifferent as well, and I'm trying to get a handle on some of the nuances.

Tay and I are learning the language with easily. It is pretty simple. I've have an amazing time listening to the intonations and the way people call to each other. The level of non-verbal communication here is astounding. It is WAY over my head but I try to make what observations I can.

I don't mean to sound like I'm exotisising a people here, I am just makeing a conscious effort to emphasise HERE the differences between this new culture and my own because I don't want to bore.

Anyway, we don't really have any table or refrigerator or many of the necessities here because we are in a different house than last year's volunteers and there is serious drama with the DOE and the renters of the other house and contracts being signed and broken and so forth, so long story short, hopefully we'll have things in our house soon.

EEEEWWWWWWW The second night here I woke up in the hot night because our AC is really loud but does not cool things (I'm not kidding at all). I thought I felt something on my foot so I shook it off thinking it was nothing and tried to go back to sleep. About thirty seconds later, however, a BIG FAT cockroach craweled over my back and down my arm before I could flail it off. I've been a bit fobic since. The things are all over our house and they're BIG. The Pohnpeians just think I'm silly for minding which I'd have to agree with to some extent, but still...

So, let's talk professional. We've been forced into teaching English for which neither of us has desire or preparation, so that's been a bummer. To look on the bright side, it's what they really need if they want to go to college. I've sort of been questioning the whole thing though, because it all just buys into imposed western ways. Oh well.

Taylor has started teaching, but I don't start till next week because I'll be teaching Juniors. right now we're on indefinite half days bacause funding is low and the school can't afford to pay for lunch. The principle tells me it should last untill sometime in October but I wouldn't be surprised if it's sooner or later than that. ACTUALLY it would be hard to surprise me with anything right now because if you weant to survive out here you've got to be absurdly laid back. (which is where Sakau, the indiginous Kava like drink, comes into play). So, I'm just in preparation mode, writing syllabus, etc... Anticipation is starting to peak out from behind relaxation and nervs will follow. Wish me luck!

Love

5 comments:

  1. Good Luck with teaching! Let me know if you and Tay need anything that I can send you!

    -Emerald

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the cockroaches in the Philippines - they do grow as big as chipmunks in the tropics! They don't seem to like light and as I recall a fan could do some good to keep them away. Also keeping any food particles away. You didn't have food particles on your foot did you?

    Take care, good luck in your new "compund" and take care, Love, Dad/Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better a flying cockroach than a centipede on one's toe! My favorite non-verbal is the eye blink "yes" often used by my own youngest daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pete and Tay - frustrating, as half the time I try to post a comment it kicks me off and erases the comment, and half the time it's fine.
    Perhaps the machetes will work on the cockroaches (as long as they are not on your toes!). It is ALWAYS great to hear about your life there. Maybe when you return you can make it into a movie!
    Love you tons - Mom/Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool description pete. i feel i'm getting a real education about a very different culture. i would so love to be there with you! do you have a snailmail address? and what sort of care packages would you dear ones like to find in your mail?
    xx, robin

    ReplyDelete