Monday, August 24, 2009


While the internet may be free for the next year, it's still horribly slow. So here are a few pictures Pete and I wanted to share of our Madolenihmw Paradise.

This is Kehproi (hmmm... spelling is pretty fluid here, so I guess I'll settle on that) Waterfall, just a five minute walk from our house. The kids took us on a special "shortcut" so we could bypass paying the Mehnwai Tax (i.e. pay a buck if you're not a local). It's so beautiful and so refreshing. The kids climbed right up the rocks in the middle and jumped off into the deep, eel-infested pools. The water is safe enough, but we have to be careful not to swim in it after it's rained a lot, since it will wash nasty little things from the village upriver down onto us.




Pete and I haven't yet made it out to Nan Madol, the revered ancient ruins, but those too are very close to our house. This next weekend our group is planning on doing a six waterfall hike up into the interior, which should be amazing and challenging.


This is Alien! Isn't he the cutest??? He loves us and we love him. Which means that I'm sure this story will end in heartbreak, one way or the other. But our family promised not to eat him, and that's all I could really ask for. Not only is this cute little pupster lovable and cute, but he makes
for a great garbage disposal!








Well he hasn't mastered it quite yet, but Pete's still practicing shimmying up the coconut trees to get us some nice uhp, the coconut water. I haven't exactly tried climbing yet, but I'm sure I'll be on some adventuresome kick someday and just run up a tree.














And here I am, all dressed up local style! I'm wearing one of the local skirts, made for me by my host mama back in Nanponmal. When woman are hanging out around the house, they frequently are sans shirt and just wearing their skirts up as I am. And in this heat, it definitely makes sense to be wearing as little as possible. We still don't have any of our things in the house (and yes they've been promising "tomorrow, for sure" since three weeks ago.........) so we're cooking everything in a borrowed iron pan over a small electric stove. If we need to heat anything up the next day, we either refry everything or put a plate of something on top of our coffee maker and let the residual heat warm it up.







Pete and I have started our second or third week teaching, respectively, and our classes have been relatively good so far! Only one of Pete's classes is just flat out not coming to class, and he's only sent a couple students to the principal's office. I've only had one gross fake love letter to deal with, a class of all girls and one boy that has some serious 'tude, and a fist fight last Friday. Other than that, I think we're getting along quite nicely. Oh, and the COM entrance test that is a huge deal here and that I'm basically supposed to be single-handedly preparing these seniors for has been moved up to November. So, now I have two and a half months to teach them how to use verb tenses correctly, reading comprehension, and how to write and essay more or less from the basics up. Intimidating? Nahhhh...

4 comments:

  1. Taylor! All you're doing sounds amazing! Keep up the energy-- so many of us are following you from back home.

    ALSO, I just thought I should let you know that a picture of you, emily lau, adetokunbo and marie eddison made it onto the front cover of the new Earlham planner! I don't know if there;s a photo online or anything, but I'll be taking you to Microbio and Biochem tomorrow morning!

    hugs,
    Kaitlin Flynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tay - thanks for the great pictures! The little pup is so cute - is he going to be "yours" during your stay? That is quite a large and scary monkey in the third photo - appears to have prehensile toes and a diminutive tail - and the poor little guy is almost naked (as in "no fur".)

    Ask Pete about when we took him to the jungle in Malaysia and stayed with the natives in a longhouse. The women did exactly what you describe with their skirts, except they pretty much just stayed uncovered on the top and pulled the skirt up above their chest if an outsider was around, or if they took a little hike to check on their pepper plants.

    Keep the updates coming - looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update on the COMET college entrance test date! Blame me - when our admissions process last year dragged deep into May, I recommended moving the test forward from late January up to before Christmas. I had not heard that the college admissions, recruitment, and retention board had acted on that recommendation. Have a look at the admissions statistics page for more information on the test results from prior years. Although I am not privy to the contents of the tests, the statistical summaries provide an overview of the focus of the tests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ignore this - trying to figure out how to leave a comment. Nina

    ReplyDelete